Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Making Friends with RAMC, from Zach Parks, 16

From Zach Parks, 16, son of Pastor Gary Parks (who is also on the Mission)
Receved Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 12:58 PM Pacific

Romania … Romania?? Romania!!!

It was a very long, but fun flight. After arriving at the Rin Grand Hotel, we quickly went to sleep, preparing for the next day. We woke excited for the first day of practice, and just being together in Romania.

We are currently practicing in the SDA theological seminary, where the chapel is beautiful and has great acoustics. We worked out technical difficulties for most of the early morning and then sang a song before going to lunch.

As the Romanians filed into the room (for the afternoon rehearsal), there was a sense of excitement as new people, voices, personalities and languages were added to us.

Lou had them sing for us the song we do a cappella, “Soldiers of the Captain.” It was simply amazing as they sang with perfect unity, harmony and heavenly (and practice-assisted) grace. I wondered if we weren’t here to learn and be ministered to as much as we were here to teach and minister. We sang the same song for them and began practice.

How can I describe what it sounds like to sing with over 200 men? The sound was absolutely enormous and powerful as God sent his voice in the best quality that we can use, through his servants. The best words to describe the sound? Simply amazing!!

I sat next to a Romanian in his thirties. As we sat and sang together he described to me how grateful they were to have us come. He said something to the effect that it was so very important to have contact underneath the normal chit-chat level, how we need to be intimate, and they want to learn.

Intimacy hurts. It really hurts to be honest about your own stinking behavior, and to be open to having someone else be right. It hurts to expose your weaknesses to others, but at the same time it heals. My dad and I talk intimately a lot.

Another important aspect of intimacy is to allow that person to push you to grow. I was glad for the reminder about continuing to grow. I began to realize that I was here to learn as well. I am here to learn how to be happy with nothing and excited about things we take for granted such as freedom. We have never been forced to go to school on Sabbath, or live in a filthy dirty, cold, small and ugly concrete apartment.

This young man said that we “give them wings”… If we are open with each other, and learn to love life right where we are in this moment, and add God, we will be living heaven on earth.

1 comment:

  1. I read this a few times and am still pretty speechless that this came from my coach Zach at my age when I can only imagine he was more of a happy-go-lucky kind of person then he is now, I can't believe that Zach the most crazy, outgoing, silly, goofy, and completely amazing person on our intire team (of about ten people) said this, I can only imagine how intimacy can hurt because I really am not that way with anyone, you may think because I'm a girl it makes me more emotional and I'll talk about it more, but no, I am emotional, who isn't? But no I don't talk about it much, maybe that's because I don't want to be reminded of the mistakes I've made in the past, or maybe it's because I'm afraid to get hurt by the people I trust my past with, but I am not open like that, the last paragraph of this was incredible it makes me think about everything and I mean EVERYTHING!!! like how many times I've cried at communion because there is no greater love then the love portrayed on the cross and not being baptized yet because when I decided I was ready for that commitment my family stopped going to church and how many times I've cried out to god just saying I'm sorry and knowing it's through gods grace that I am saved even though I don't show much grace to my brother or sister, that get on my nerves, seeing how this one man at 16 years old (the age I will be in a matter of months) can be so honest and open that you know he was changed by it, that amazes me and I will never forget it, Zachary Parks is an extraordinary man and I am so blessed to have him in my life.

    "If we are open with each other and learn to love life right where we are in this moment, with christ guiding our life, we will be living heaven on earth."

    That one is going on my wall!

    ReplyDelete